Employee climate surveys allow organizations to learn about more subtle dynamics in their workplace that may be contributing to issues with recruitment and retention. Specifically, climate surveys provide a picture of an organization’s climate, or environment, around a variety of topics such as diversity, safety and respect. This service should ultimately improve retention practices through the identification of issues that would otherwise go undetected. Now, more than ever, because of the current economic climate, employers need a mechanism to gather feedback from their workforce. Topics addressed in an employee climate survey can include: innovation, overall job satisfaction, diversity, respectful workplace, management style, interpersonal relations, safety, harassment and discrimination, policy assessment, compensation, benefits, communication, mentoring, teamwork, adaptability, staff development and leadership.
Benefits of conducting an employee climate survey include:
- Essential to facilitating development and organizational change;
- Allows the organization to focus on needs and leverage its strengths;
- Informs the organization on which actions will create problems for the employees;
- Provides management with employee feedback on the internal health of the organization;
- Provides a direct means of assessing employee opinions that would otherwise be unreported;
- Measures the impact of current programs, policies and procedures;
- Provides financial benefits for the company in increased productivity and decreased time off and turnover;
- Can be a motivator of performance since it shows the employee that their opinions and views are considered important; and
- Can be used to motivate employees and improve job satisfaction.
WRDC assists companies in the development, administration and interpretation of workplace climate surveys. There is a Senior Research & Evaluation Coordinator on staff who has a graduate level education in research methodology and over a decade of experience in survey design. We work with organizations to develop survey questions which are customized to their specific work environment. Once data collection is complete, we assist organizations with data analysis/reporting requirements and provide recommendations regarding gender-related and diversity issues that may be identified.